The Hi-Desert Nature Museum continues its legacy of providing the Morongo Basin with an outlet to demonstrate its creativity! Participate in “Metamorphosis: A Recycled Art Exhibition,” a community-curated art exhibition designed to make people rethink our throw-away society by sharing innovative and often surprising use of recycled and reused materials.
Things you should know:
- Morongo Basin artists, youth and adults, are encouraged to participate.
- Awards will be given to ‘Best in Show’ adult (14+ years) and youth (5-13 years). Awards will be announced at the Opening Reception on Saturday, March 25, 2023, 4-7 p.m. Winners will receive a prize.
- There is no cost to participate.
- For inquiries regarding submission guidelines, contact Vanessa Cantu, Museum Registrar and Exhibits Coordinator at email@example.com or (760) 369-7212.
- Artwork must be dropped off at the Hi-Desert Nature Museum on March 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th, between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Pieces will be accepted on a first-come-serve basis until we can fill the gallery.
- Each artist may enter up to 2 pieces.
- Each submission will require a brief description, which includes a title and materials used.
- The Museum will accept entries based on the following: content, composition, overall size, and requirements for display.
- IMPORTANT: If you plan to submit either a two or three-dimensional piece larger than 3′ x 3′ in size, please contact Vanessa Cantu at firstname.lastname@example.org before March 4, 2023. Gallery space is limited, and larger pieces must be approved on a case-by-case basis prior to drop-off.
- Hanging works must have the proper hanging hardware. Works will only be displayed if they can be easily and safely hung. For this exhibit, we allow some latitude in framing so long as we can hang the artwork.
- Three-dimensional works are allowed but need to be stable enough for handling and displaying.
- The Museum will not accept works containing combustible or toxic materials, live animal/plant matter, perishable food products, or other substances that are harmful to the Museum’s artifacts or visitors.
- The Museum is a family-oriented facility and reserves the right to refuse any artwork of questionable nature or content that may alter its mission.
- Artwork that is accepted and delivered to the Museum must remain in the gallery until the exhibit closes on May 27, 2023.
- Artwork will not be sold out of the gallery.
- The artist, by submitting their artwork, gives permission to the Hi-Desert Nature Museum to display the artwork on its website, Facebook, and other social media and will allow the use of their artwork for promotional purposes for the exhibit.
- The Hi-Desert Nature Museum staff takes every precaution to protect and secure the items submitted. The Hi-Desert Nature Museum does not insure the items against loss, damage, or theft. By submitting your artwork and having it on display, you agree to hold the Hi-Desert Nature Museum and the Town of Yucca Valley harmless and to indemnify both parties against all claims resulting from losses.
- Artists must arrange to pick up their artwork on May 31st, June 1st, 2nd, or 3rd between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. If an artist is unable to pick up their art on said dates but can arrange for a friend or family member to pick it up instead, please notify Museum staff. We will not release artwork without verbal or written approval from the artist.
Voting for “Best in Show”
- Awards will be given to ‘Best in Show’ for an adult (14+ years) submission and ‘Best in Show’ for a youth (5-13 years) submission.
- Awards will be announced at the Opening Reception on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at 6 p.m.
- Individuals visiting the exhibition, in person, between March 17 and March 24 will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite piece. Artists, don’t forget to let your family and friends know to vote!
- Voting will close at 5:00 p.m. on March 24th.
- Each individual (5+ years) is allowed two votes- one for ‘Best in Show’ adult and one for ‘Best in Show’ youth.
- The pieces receiving the most votes will be awarded.
- March 4, 2023- Deadline to gain approval for larger pieces (3’x3′ or larger) before drop-off. Contact email@example.com.
- March 8, 9, 10, 11, 2023 – Drop-off your artwork at the Hi-Desert Nature Museum between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- March 17, 2023 – Show officially opens; Voting for awards begins.
- March 24, 2023 – In-person voting for ‘Best in Show’ ends at 5:00 p.m.
- March 25, 2023 – The Museum will host an Opening Reception, 4-7 p.m. Live music and appetizers will be provided for artists, friends and family. Awards presented at 6 p.m.
- May 27, 2023 – Show ends
- May 31, June 1, 2, 3, 2023 – Pick up artwork between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.